27/03/2007

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

This all sounds good to me, and confirms that we are again thinking similarly. I would like to develop some kind of plan – as we did with the music – for where we want the work to go… or equally where we want it not to go.

I feel like this sense of agreed direction has significantly helped our process with the sound. It’s given us a beacon at the times we say – I have no idea what to do with this track… I think also with the music the very nature of developing an album has a helpful pre-defined framework within which to operate. This is great because it gives context to artistic decisions… it places limits and expectations about the ultimate end point of the project.

I feel like I’m potentially a broken record when I re-state that for me some sense of exterior and tangible outcome is essential to bring me out of a constant state of flux and into action!

As I’ve mentioned and you’ve picked up, an exhibition would be a great tangible goal for me… as would the new website… an online shop… t-shirts etc. The point I’m at right now is to define the goals more specifically in order to actually begin producing stuff. As an artist some times the definition is as simple and open ended as the paint in your hands and the canvas in front of you… and the process is a raw and natural expression… sometimes for me, it can be more like a design brief where you have limitations, aims and key factors in place before you do anything.

Why do I keep talking about doing instead of just doing? I guess I’m looking to continually interact on a conceptual plane about what is happening… and draw out some kind of mutual sense of direction. I think you’ve defined something of the ‘how’ and I’m turning my attention to the ‘what’ and ‘where’.

No comments: